Chinese rice with Shashlik Recipes
Author: Priya Sreeram
Recipe Type: Appetiser, Main
- Cottage Cheese - 400 grams - cut in to chunky rectangles
- Bell Pepper (Green) - 1 large - cored and cubed
- Pineapple - 1 small - cubed in to chunky pieces
- Button Mushrooms - a few - washed thoroughly and halved (depending on the size)
- Onion - 1 large - peeled and cubed
- Apple Cider Vinegar - 10 to12 tbsp
- Texan Barbecue Sauce - 3 to 4 tbsp - or to taste
- Tobasco Sauce - 1 tbsp - to taste
- Dark Soy Sauce - 1 tbsp
- Dates Syrup - 1 tbsp
- Fennel Seeds - 1 tsp
- Dry Mango Powder - 1 tsp
- Dry Ginger Powder- ½ tsp
- Red Chilli Powder - 2 tsp
- Salt - to taste
- Pepper Powder - ½ tsp
- Ginger & Garlic Paste - 1 tbsp each
- Coriander - a few sprigs - finely chopped
- Mint - few leaves - finely chopped
- Lemon Juice - 1 tbsp
- Dried Rosemary, Chives, Oregano, Basil - ½ tsp of each- to taste
- Tomato - 4 small sized - chopped
- Tomato Ketchup - a liberal squeeze or two (I used Kissan)
- Garlic - 4 pods - chopped
- Dried Basil Leaves - 1 tbsp (you can use fresh leaves if available)
- Pepper - to taste
- Olive Oil
- Water - a cup
- Cooked Rice - 1 cup
- Salted Butter- 1½ tbsp
- Keep the veggies, cheese, mushroom & pineapple cubed and ready to mingle with the marinade.
- In a bowl mix all the ingredients for the marinade and set aside. Mix the sliced chunky ingredients into the marinade and refrigerate it for 2-4 hours. Refrigeration allows the pieces to absorb the juices completely.
- In the meanwhile prepare the sauce as follows- In a pan add a splash of olive oil and saute the chopped garlic for some time. Add the tomatoes and let it cook till it starts turning mushy. Then tip in the tomato ketchup and the dried basil and give it a swirl. Drop in a cup of water and season the mix with salt and pepper. Let it simmer till it attains the desired consistency.
- Once the chunks of veggies and cheese are marinated- thread them along a skewer and roast/grill them in a barbecue or oven till it is charred.
- I placed the skewer rods on the barbecue grill and grilled them @ 240 C.
- Every once in a while, I basted the skewers with the left over marinade. Grill till it turns charred & smoky.
- In a small skillet add butter and as it browns toss in the cooked rice.
- Time to plate-up - Spread the buttered rice on a plate and place the skewer on it. Pour in the sauce generously and tuck-in immediately when hot.
You can serve the shashlik as a cocktail snack or appetizer too!
Priya is an enthusiastic foodie who loves to experiment with different types of cuisine. She chronicles her heart and hearth adventures on the blog Bon Appetit, which has recipes ranging from simple to exotic.