February 28, 2017
Chinese Porridge recipe Congee
Rinse the rice: Place the rice in a large strainer or colander and rinse it under cool water. The water running through the rice will usually look milky at first, but will then become clearer. It's fine if there's still some haze in the water.
How To Make Congee
What You Need
1 cup rice — any kind
6 cups chicken stock, vegetable stock, or water
Optional, for richer congee: leftover cooked chicken wings or bones from a roasted chicken, skin removed
Thinly sliced green onions
Soft- or hard-boiled egg
Leftover cooked chicken, pork, or beef
2- to 4-quart saucepan with lid
- Rinse the rice: Place the rice in a large strainer or colander and rinse it under cool water. The water running through the rice will usually look milky at first, but will then become clearer. It's fine if there's still some haze in the water.
- Combine the rice and cooking liquid in the saucepan. If you're using any chicken bones, add them to the saucepan now.
- Bring to a boil, then reduce to a simmer and partially cover.
- Continue simmering for about 1 1/2 hours: Stir the congee occasionally during cooking — this will make it more creamy. If the porridge is getting a little stiff, or if you'd like a looser porridge, add more cooking liquid. The congee is ready when the rice is as soft and porridgy as you prefer.
- Remove any bones and shred the meat: If you used any chicken bones, pull them out of the congee. Shred the meat and stir it back into the congee.
- Serve the congee: Ladle the congee into individual bones and garnish with whatever toppings you like.
- Leftover congee can be kept in the refrigerator for up to 5 days. Warm in the microwave or on the stovetop, and stir in a little extra cooking liquid to loosen it up, if needed.
Per serving, based on 4 servings. (% daily value)
- Fat4.6 g (7.1%)
- Saturated1.2 g (6.2%)
- Carbs51.4 g (17.1%)
- Sugars5.7 g
- Protein12.3 g (24.6%)
- Cholesterol10.8 mg (3.6%)
Share this article
Chinese Chicken porridge recipe
August 10, 2019
Chinese fish Porridge recipe
March 5, 2022
Chinese fish congee recipe
November 9, 2018