Chinese recipe for Chicken feet
Sweet and sour chicken feet are boiled chicken feet marinated with in sweet and sour sauce for at least 8 hours.
Both Chicken feet and trotter contain rich collagen and thus are liked by girls in China. In most provinces of China, chicken feet are considered to a money grabber. So there are different ways of cooking chicken feet in Chinese cuisines. For example, in Sichuan province, those chicken feet are marinated with pickled capsicum frutescens. One of the famous brands is Youyou(泡椒凤爪). And in Guangdong province, we have steamed chicken feet (虎皮凤爪).
Making this yummy snack at home is quite easy and here are some tips.
1. For chicken feet, both boneless and whole chicken feet are ideal for this recipe.
2. Since the taste mainly comes from the sauce, we need add a little bit more salt, otherwise, the chicken feet might be saltless.
3. You can make a larger amount at one time. Those sweet and sour chicken feet can be kept in refrigerator up to 1 week.
Sweet and Sour Chicken Feet
- 10 oz. chicken feet
- 2 green onion roots
- 1 inch root ginger sliced
- 2 L ice cold water
- Sweet and sour sauce
- 2 red chili peppers
- 2 tablespoons rice wine or cooking wine
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1 tablespoon white vinegar
- 1 tablespoon lime juice
- 2 tablespoons crystal sugar
- 1 cup of boiling water
- Cut the tiptoe of the chicken feet off. Then combine chicken feet with spring onion roots and several pieces of ginger slices. Cook for around 10 minutes after the water becomes to boil.
- Put the chicken feet in cold water to cool down.
- Mix the ingredients to make the sweet and sour sauce.
- Soak the cooked chicken feet in sweet and sour sauce in a sealed container and then place the container in refrigerator for around 8 hours.
- Get the chicken feet out and enjoy!