Chinese taro cake recipe
Taro cake (aka yam cake) is also one of popular snacks in Hong Kong, that can be easily found in Chinese restaurants. The Chinese word of 糕（gao, means cake or pudding）sounds the same as “rising”, ” growth”, “achieving higher level” in all endeavours. No wonder why Chinese people like eating all kinds of cakes, including this one during Chinese New year season.
Today is the first day of The year of the Ox, coincidentally falls on Australia Day!
Wish you all a prosperous and happy Chinese New Year! Happy “Niu” Year! (“Niu” means ox in Chinese Mandarin, sounds like “new”)
Prep time: 20 mins
Cook time: 90 mins
Yield: Prepare an 8-inch round pan
- 600 gm taro, diced
- 180 gm rice flour
- 3 cups (750ml) water
- 3 Tbsp vegetable oil
- 2 Chinese dried sausages (lap chang 臘腸)
- 4 to 5 dried shiitake mushrooms
- 10 gm dried shrimps
- chopped spring onion for garnish, optional
- 2 tsp chicken powder (bouillon powder)
- 3/4 tsp five spice powder
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tsp sugar
- white pepper, to taste
- sesame oil, to taste
- Rinse and soak Chinese mushrooms in water until tender. Cut into small pieces. Soak dried shrimps and chopped coarsely, use a food processor if you like. Set aside.
- Mix chicken powder, five spice powder, sugar, salt and white pepper in a cup of water. Add a dash of sesame oil. Combine with rice flour very well.
- Heat 3 tablespoons of oil over medium high heat to saute the diced taro, for about 3 to 4 minutes. Pour in 2 cups of boiling water and bring to a boil again. Cook for about 10 minutes. Don’t let it dry up and leave some water with the taro. Remove from heat, toss in fried Chinese sausages, mushrooms and dried shrimps (as picture shown above). Immediately fold in rice flour mixture and mix very well into a thick batter.
- Pour the batter into a greased tray, 8-inch round. Use a spatula to even the surface. Steam over high heat with cover, about 60 minutes. Check the water level and replenish, if necessary, with boiling water. Insert a chopstick into the middle part. If it comes out clean, the taro cake is cooked through. Sprinkle with chopped spring onion. Serve hot. Or let cool and refrigerate with cover for 4 hours. Cut into pieces, fry both sides until golden brown over medium heat.